Fort Garry is an area or division of Winnipeg that runs along the Red River in the south of the original fort. Its excellent beauty and surroundings has developed it into a well k
nown tourist destination over the years. It was established in the year 1882 and was used as a trading post of the Hudson Bay Company at the convergence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers. The name Fort Garry was given to the place after Nicholas Garry who was the deputy governor of the Hudson Bay Company. During the late 1869 and early 1870 there was a Red River Rebellion after which the area around the fort continued to grow.
One of the newer additions to Winnipeg is Fort Whyte, created just 15 years ago in 1999; this provincial division of Manitoba has the second highest average family income and a good
30% population with university degrees. Created from the territory formerly belonging to Fort Garry and St. Norbert, Fort Whyte quietly steps into the diversity of Winnipeg with 21% immigrant population. Having been represented by John Loewen of the Progressive Conservative Party from 1999 to 2005 and then by Hugh McFadyen since then, Fort Whyte’s history doesn’t stop just yet.
Located in the south central part of Winnipeg, St.Vital is a beautiful city that will mesmerize you with its authenticity and serenity. It was established in the year 1822 and was named by Archbishop Tache’ in honor of his colleague Father Vital- Justin Gradin. This is a sub urban area that is located on the Red River and is a home to many French speaking settlers.
First Nations people were the original inhabitants of the area which is now known as St. Norbert. The prime location of this place boosted the trade sector in this area. St. Norbert is a bilingual community located on the outskirts of Winnipeg. This area is currently inhabited by around 5,000 residents and mostly the population comprises of farmers. The area is a huge market from the prospective of earning for them in summers as people from all over the city visit St. Norbert.
Windsor Park is a neighborhood within the St. Boniface area of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is bordered by Marion St on the north, Archibald Ave on the West, Lagimodiere Blvd on the East, and Fermor ave on the south. It is a neighborhood largely of 50’s and 60’s era bungalows. Its main thoroughfares include Autumnwood, Drake, Cottonwood and Maginot. It is served by the Louis Riel School Division. Recreation facilities include the nearby Windsor Park Golf Course which straddles the Seine River (Manitoba). Amenities in Windor Park include Convenience Stores (Mac’s, 7 eleven), full service gas station (Esso), Grocery (IGA), and Medical Clinics.